Colonie man hospitalized after saving blind neighbor from house fire

(Photo Credit: Lauren Linder, NEWS10 ABC)

COLONIE, N.Y. (NEWS10) – A Colonie man was taken to the hospital after rescuing his blind neighbor from a serious house fire on Tull Drive Saturday evening.

The fire broke out on the second floor of the home around 9:30 p.m. Saturday. Responding fire crews found the home fully engulfed. The fire damaged the second floor and attic, and the first floor of the home suffered water damage.

Fire crews were able to contain the fire within 20 minutes, despite the challenging snowy conditions.

Colonie Village Fire Chief tells NEWS10 that a neighbor called 911 and rescued the homeowner from the second floor before fire crews arrived.

“The neighbor heard the smoke alarm, then went over to the house, saw the fire coming from the second floor,” the Colonie Fire Chief told NEWS10 ABC. “He got the gentleman out of the house.”

The neighbor suffered burn wounds to his leg during the rescue, and he and the homeowner were both taken to the hospital.

Officials were not able to provide an update on the condition of either man.

The cause of the fire is still uncertain.

NEWS10 ABC  will provide more updates as they are made available.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s