Brunswick house fire leaves man airlifted to burn unit

(Photo Credit: Samantha DiMascio, NEWS10 ABC)

BRUNSWICK, N.Y. (NEWS10) – The fire is out, but little is left of the home at 5 Lake Hills Rd. in the Town of Brunswick.

The flames were intense when crews got to the scene around 1:30 a.m., but they were able to knock the fire down within 15 minutes. The home is a total loss.

Center Brunswick Fire Chief Elwood Dalba said 33-year-old Gregory Tworek was airlifted to Westchester Medical Center Burn Unit.

Tworek was the only person inside the house when the fire broke out, and he was out by the time firefighters got here. He ran to a neighbor’s home for help, and she was the one to call 911.

Dalba said the owner of the home was burned when he ran back inside to save his dog, but he was overcome by the smoke and flames and came back outside. Unfortunately, the dog did not make it.

Neighbors say when Tworek came back out, his face was covered in soot, and his head and hands were badly burned.

Investigators are now combing through what’s left. They brought in a K-9 unit to help figure out how the fire started.

The neighbors said the homeowners had been renovating the home, and now they wonder if that had anything to do with the cause, but firefighters haven’t commented.

The whole street was without power, but National Grid was working to restore it.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s