Fire chief: Construction materials spontaneously combust causing Lake George hotel fire

LAKE GEORGE, N.Y. (NEWS10) – Crews responded to a fire at a Lake George hotel Friday night.

Between 8:30 p.m. and 9 p.m., multiple crews were called to the Courtyard Marriott on Canada Street for a fire. This is the hotel’s first summer season as it opened around Labor Day 2016.

Upon arrival, crews found some visible, minimal flames in the back of the building that’s currently under construction. The Lake George fire chief said some construction materials and oil rags were put in areas that caused them to spontaneously combust and start a fire.

It got hot enough to set off the sprinkler system, which helped crews knock down the fire.

About 60 to 100 people were evacuated. One person had a minor injury after tripping during the evacuation.

Some damage was done to the construction room, and they had issues with smoke traveling throughout the building.

The fire chief said they would’ve had more issues with traffic if the fire had taken place next week for Americade. under investigation.

Officials are still investigating who may have placed the rags where they caught fire.

 

 

 

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s