WILTON, N.Y. (NEWS10) – Inspectors announced that damage done to the Crest Inn Suites & Cottages in Wilton could leave the property uninhabitable.
The town said the damage done to the property caused a lot of violations that need to be corrected before it can be reopened.
“That place is a dump,” Matt Beauregard said. “It’s always been a dump.”
Beauregard had a bad experience living at the motel in late 2016. He said electrical outlets didn’t work, it smelled horrible, and problems were addressed in the wrong way.
“I think I was getting robbed a $850 a month,” he said.
He wasn’t surprised to learn the motel was forced to close.
“Surprised they weren’t shut down months ago,” he said.
Town documents show the facility failed two inspections. Last week, building inspectors declared it uninhabitable saying it posed health and safety risks.
The town said there are half a dozen broken toilets, vanities, and old mattresses, and dressers were scattered throughout the property. It also appears some plumbing work is in progress.
Violations found at Crest Inn Suites & Cottages in Wilton
Violations found at Crest Inn Suites & Cottages in Wilton x
“Stratford 22” Reunion
Fire breaks out on Cottage Street in Troy
New York State Police helping in Puerto Rico
Deer enters Cooperstown Price Chopper
NEWS10 ABC Red Cross Telethon
Trump’s childhood home up for rent
Great Sacandaga Littering
New Schenectady Rail Station
Military Plane crashes in Mississippi
Birds rescued by DPW workers
Property owner Arslan Hussain claimed someone vandalized his property. He believes it was a former tenant who was evicted for not paying rent.
“We had ground wires cut, and then we had septic lines cut as well,” Hussain said.
But inspectors said they found multiple other violations, including raw sewage flowing in various places, an open gas line, wet insulation, holes in floors, overloaded surge protectors, and extension cords near water sources.
“I’m not going to take full blame for everything, but obviously, you know, it’s a business, so you know, the business owner has to take some kind of fault,” Hussain said.
Now, he’s trying to get the rooms fixed, so tenants can move back in.
“I don’t want any violations with the building department anymore,” Hussain said. “I don’t want to deal with this again, obviously.”
Beauregard thinks the motel will wind up in the same boat sooner or later.
“I hope it gets better for other people that have to live there and live like that, but I don’t think it’s going to change,” he said.
Hussain said they will be inspected again on Friday. He hopes they’ll get approval to reopen for the weekend.
Hussain also said he intends to press charges.