ALBANY, N.Y. (NEWS10) – New York State Police launched a recruiting campaign to attract the state’s best and brightest to join their ranks.
The State Police will be holding new trooper entrance exams once a week during the month of October.
“Come help us celebrate our 100 year anniversary by applying to join the New York State Police. The strength of our agency is built on the diversity of the men and women who have dedicated their lives to serving their communities and their state” said Superintendent George P. Beach II. “We are actively seeking qualified, committed, and motivated candidates from all walks of life to take the Trooper exam this fall. Candidates will be competing for the chance to join the ranks of the New York State Police and have a rewarding career of public service.”
Starting salary for a State Trooper is just under $54,000 then more than $70,000 once they graduate from the police academy.
- Must be a citizen of the United States and be at least 20 years old by the application deadline.
- Must not have reached their 30th birthday by the date of the application deadline. Except the maximum age may be extended one year for each year of full-time active Federal military duty – up to a maximum of 6 years.
AT TIME OF APPOINTMENT:
- Must be at least 21 years old to be appointed.
- Must be appointed prior to 36th birthday, except the maximum age may be extended one year for each year of full-time active Federal military duty – up to a maximum of 6 years.
- Must be a New York State resident and have a valid New York State driver’s license at time of appointment.
- Must be able to pass a Physical Ability Test (PAT): sit-ups, push-ups and a one-and-one-half mile run.
- Must be able to work rotating shifts any day of the week, including holidays.
- Vision Requirements: uncorrected – no worse than 20/100 in each eye able to be corrected to 20/20 in each eye. Correction may be achieved using glasses, contact lenses, or surgery. Color blindness is disqualifying.
- Must comply with New York State policy which requires all members to present a neat and professional appearance at all times. Tattoos, brands, body piercings, and other body art shall not be visible while a member is in uniform or other business attire. The uniform includes the short sleeve shirt open at the front of the neck. In addition to visibility, some tattoos or brands may have symbolic meanings that are inconsistent with the values of the New York State Police.
- Must possess a:
- Graduate certificate from senior high school, Or
- New York State High School Equivalency Diploma; Or
- Military GED certificate, Or
- High School Equivalency diploma from another state converted to a NYS High School Equivalency Diploma,
- Must have completed 60 college credit hours at an accredited college or university at time of appointment.
Exceptions: 30 college credits may be waived, if the candidate has either:
Received an Honorable Discharge from the Unite State military after two years of active military service;
Successfully completed a Certified Police Officer Training Course approved by, or equivalent to a course approved by, the New York State Municipal Police Training council. A certified Peace Officer Training course does not qualify.
- Must be of good moral character. A felony conviction or a dishonorable discharge, from any military service, is an automatic disqualifier.
- Must successfully complete a medical examination, vision test, hearing test, background investigation including polygraph examination, and psychological evaluation to be appointed.
Online applications are now being accepted. Interested candidates can sign up for the exam at www.nytrooper.com or by calling 1-866-NYSP-EXAM.