SARATOGA SPRINGS, N.Y. (NEWS10) – Getting back to business could take weeks for Hamlet and Ghost and other popular spots on Caroline and Putnam Streets.
“Try and get everything dried out that’s first.”
Five local businesses and five apartments in the area suffered significant damage from an accidental fire Thanksgiving morning.
“It was a tough fire only because there were so many hidden spots,” Assistant Fire Chief Peter Shaw said.
Shaw says it appears the blaze started in the storage room of Mio Posto restaurant. Inspectors say 30 Caroline may need to be demolished.
Fortunately for Hamlet Ghost, they only suffered smoke and water damage, but it was enough to close the bar and restaurant during one of its busiest seasons.
“It’s hard missing a few weeks of that.”
The popular new business hasn’t even been open a full year, and this is the second time they’ve been forced to shut down. In February, they closed for a burst pipe.
This time, co-owner Brendan Dillon hopes to have his bar back up and running in a few weeks, but insurance doesn’t cover employee wages while they’re closed again for repairs.
“That’s right now our big concern is keeping our employees paid for the holidays so they don’t have to find other work and secondly it’s the holidays so we want them to make money.”
Dillon started a GoFundMe site to support his staff. Its already raised upwards of $9,000 in just two days.
“Our regular customers, the people who we do business with other bars and restaurants right around us have been really awesome.”
The owners here at Hamlet and Ghost say they plan on hosting another fundraising event. As soon as we have information as to when that’s going to be we’ll be sure to bring it to you.