STILLWATER, N.Y. (NEWS10) – A Stillwater man was flown to the burn unit in Central New York following an early morning fire.
First responders assisted in evacuating residents. Saratoga County fire investigators spent much of the morning sifting through the top floor where they believe the fire started.
When they arrived on scene, firefighters said the 63-year-old male resident of the unit appeared disoriented and tried to make his way back into the burning building.
“The downstairs people heard the smoke alarm going off,” Stillwater Fire Chief Jeff Mahar said. “They called the homeowner. He came over and found him on the stairs going up to the apartment. He was trying to go back upstairs to the apartment, and they stopped him. He was disoriented, so obviously, he took in a little smoke.”