ALBANY, N.Y. (NEWS10) — Friday the nation takes time to salute all members of the armed forces for their service. Veterans day celebrations, parades and ceremonies are planned for all over the Capital Region Friday.
Albany Veterans Day Parade: The parade kicks off at the corner of Central Avenue and Ontario Street at 11am.
- Parking Restrictions: November 11, 2016 8AM-2PM
- Washington Avenue, both sides between S. Swan Street and N. Hawk Street
- Central Avenue, both sides from Partridge Street to Ontario Street
- Road Closures: November 11, 2016 10AM-2PM
- Central Avenue between manning Boulevard and Washington Avenue
- Washington Avenue between Central Avenue and Eagle Street
- All intersecting roadways to and from the above streets will be closed and cross traffic diverted around the parade route
USS Slater Veterans Day Celebration: 9:00 a.m. “Ceremony honoring all that is great about this country and those men and women who served to protect our freedom.” Albany Mayor Kathy Sheehan will be in attendance. The USS Slater will be open for public tours in honor of the special day.
Veterans Day at the Albany Institute of History and Art: The museum is offering free admission from 10 a.m. till 5 p.m. to all, courtesy of M & T Bank. Museum featuring a special lego display, and the first round fo the Lego Building Challenge. This year’s theme is “Rock and Roll”.
Saratoga National Cemetary Veterans Day Ceremony: Join Saratoga in showing your thanks and gratitude to our nation’s veterans. The ceremony will begin at 11:00 am on Veteran’s Day at the Gerald B.H. Solomon- Saratoga National Cemetery.
Additionally, a number of restaurants and businesses across the United States are offering special Veterans Day deals to salute those who serve. Check out the list here.