Crews respond to house explosion, fire in Delanson

DELANSON, N.Y. (NEWS10) – Multiple fire crews responded to a Delanson home Thursday evening.

The explosion took place around 5:30 p.m. Thursday at a home on the 1700-block of Main Street in Delanson. New York State Fire Investigator John Nuzback said two people were inside at the time, but they got out safely.

The two-story home could likely be a loss. It is over 100 years old; therefore, firefighters are taking extra precaution in how they enter the building, according to Nuzback.

“They won’t be able to brace the front very much,” he said. “They’re going to try and put water in with some foam because they don’t want to add too much weight to the structure, so it doesn’t finish collapsing.”

Multiple crews from different departments responded. While there were no difficulties involved, the investigator said the home is very fragile. The entire right side was destroyed, and the roof was caving in.

“Everything’s going pretty smooth so far,” Nuzback said. “You know, they run through water, and just as they can’t get inside to get to the fire because of the structural integrity.”

A neighbor said his wife was stopped by a person who told her to turn around because they weren’t sure if another round of explosions were going to occur.

“Neighbors stopped her,” Ben Bond said. “Told her, ‘You don’t want to go any further. There’s glass on the road.’ She had to turn around and go the other way to the school to pick her son up.”

There was a report of the landlord working on the propane tank in the basement, but officials could not provide confirmation Thursday night.

“When she looked over at the house, she saw an orange glow in the center of the house,” Bond said. “She really didn’t put it together to figure out what it was until afterwards.”

The explosion and fire is in its preliminary investigation, but Nuzback said it is quite rare.

“It’s not very common,” he said. “The last one I remember was in the city of Schenectady, although there have been some I’ve seen on the news in other parts of the country.”

Main Street will remain closed until the scene is safely cleared. The investigator said it would be a long night for crews.

The incident remains under investigation.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s