COLONIE, N.Y. (NEWS10) – Colonie Police arrested a man they say had drugs and was passed out with his 7-month-old son inside his vehicle.
Police say the 24-year-old dad, Alvaro Uruchima of Waterford, N.Y., was high on heroin and had nodded off.
Who knows what would have happened to him and his infant son, had it not been for two quick thinking co-workers who had just wrapped up their shift at a local hair salon.
A Good Samaritan recounted how she was leaving work at a Latham hair salon with a co-worker, when she noticed something off about a young man inside the parked Volkswagen outside.
She said she walked over to the car to make sure he was okay, and ended up seeing he had drugs in his hand. She then ended up looking into the back seat of the car.
It was what they saw there, that really concerned them.
She said they saw the baby in the infant seat and immediately called the police.
Responding Colonie police officers say Uruchima was found with a straw for snorting heroin along with several bags of the drug inside his pocket.
The child was released to his grandmother.
Uruchima was charged with Acting In A Manner Injurious To A Child and Criminal Possession of a Controlled Substance.
The arrest sounds eerily similar to recent stories from across the country in which parents have been found passed out or dead with their children nearby. One particularly tragic story was of an unconscious mother and her crying child who were captured by shoppers cellphones as the mom lay in a store aisle.
On Monday, police in Pennsylvania discovered the bodies of two parents whom they believe died of a drug overdose after their 7-year-old daughter told school officials in she couldn’t wake them up.
Their stories are not lost on our Good Samaritan.
Police say as heroin becomes cheaper, more potent and more available, we’re likely to see more of these tragic stories unfold.