ST. PETERSBURGH, Fla. (ABC NEWS) – Just days after Samsung recalled its Galaxy Note 7 smartphones, a St. Petersburg, Florida man says he found out the hard way why the recall was issued in the first place.
Nathan Dornacher’s wife, Lydia, said the family went to a yard sale Labor Day morning. While unloading a desk they bought for their daughter, Nathan left his Note 7 charging in the center console of his Jeep Grand Cherokee.
Lydia said they sent their 8-year-old daughter, with the family’s service dog, to get back in the vehicle because they were leaving to run more errands. But the dog knew something was wrong. Nathan looked out of the window and realized his Jeep was on fire.
The phone had exploded and engulfed his Jeep in flames.
St. Petersburg fire crews came to put out the fire.
Nathan said his vehicle was a point of pride, saying he had made many upgrades to the vehicle. Now those upgrades are ashes and Nathan will have to find a new ride.
Samsung recalled the smartphones in 10 countries last week, after 35 instances of Note 7s catching fire or exploding were confirmed.
Meanwhile, Samsung said customers who already bought Note 7s could swap them for new smartphones in about two weeks.
So far, there have been no reports of injuries related to the problem with the phones.