TROY, N.Y. (NEWS10) – A disturbing realization for a local man who just wanted to cool off on a hot day.
“It wasn’t until after I seen the shards of glass I realized I swallowed glass,” Borter said.
Borter began to worry.
“When I saw those big shards, I started getting nervous,” he said. “Naturally, at first, I’m like, it can’t be good swallowing glass.”
Borter reported the issue to Snapple and went to the emergency room. NEWS10 ABC reporter Ayla Ferrone also called Snapple and spoke with Corporate Communications Director Chris Barnes over the phone.
“Our primary concern is always the safety and well-being of our consumers,” he said.
Barnes sent the following statement to NEWS10 Monday night:
We’re looking forward to connecting with Mr. Borter and addressing his needs and concerns. Nothing is more important to us than the safety and well being of our consumers. While it’s difficult to speculate on how this issue happened without analyzing the product and reviewing the production records based on the code printed on the bottle, I wanted to reiterate that we have extensive measures in place related to our glass bottling operations. As I mentioned earlier, bottles are inverted and air rinsed with deionized air shortly before filling. It’s virtually impossible for anything to enter the bottle at that point. Further, if there is a breakage on the line, production stops immediately and we clear the lines, removing all product near that breakage as a precaution.