ALBANY, N.Y. (NEWS10) — Happy Fourth of July!
NEWS10 is at the Empire State Plaza with a look at all the fun they have in store for you and your family, even before the fireworks go off. Preparations are already underway. Crews are setting up the lights on the stage. Live music starts at 4 p.m. and the fireworks display kicks off at 9:15 p.m.
This is a huge event. Some 30,000 people are expected to pack the plaza and for many families this has become a tradition.
Attorney General Eric T. Schneiderman issued the following statement in observance of Independence Day:
“Today we gather with friends and family to celebrate the birth of our country and commemorate the bravery and courage of our founders. These men and women risked everything to forge a new nation built on the ideals of equality and justice, and each subsequent generation has worked to ensure that our country lives up to these ideals. Today, we should be mindful of our duty to defend the rights of our friends and neighbors who still face discrimination and bigotry. I wish all Americans a relaxing and joyous Independence Day.”
Here are the parking restrictions and road closures in the city of Albany for Monday, July 4th:
July 4th 6AM-11:59PM for Fireworks at Empire State Plaza, Stage area
– State Street, both sides from S. Swan Street to Eagle Street
July 4th at 6AM until July 5th at 6AM
– Upper Lincoln Park all roadways between Delaware Avenue and Dr. Martin Luther King Boulevard. This includes the roadway adjacent to TOAST School and near the tennis courts, basketball courts and spray pool (Sunshine School)
July 4th 12:01AM-11:59PM for July 4th Fireworks at Empire State Plaza, Traffic Control/Public Safety
– Madison Place, North Side from Eagle Street to Philip Street
– Elm Street, north side from Eagle Street to Grand Street
– Philip Street, east side from Madison Ave to Warren Street
– Bleeker Street, south side from Philip Place to Eagle Street
July 4th 5AM to 11:59PM for July 4th Fireworks at Empire State Plaza traffic control
– Madison Avenue, both sides from S. Swan Street to Eagle Street
July 4th 5AM-11:59PM for July 4th Fireworks at Empire State Plaza, CDTA Bus staging/Bus STOP
– Washington Avenue, north side from Eagle Street to S. Swan Street
– Washington Avenue, south side from S. Swan Street east to opposite N. Hawk Street
– Washington Avenue, north side from S. Swan Street west to 111 Washington Avenue
– N. Hawk Street, east side from Washington Avenue to Elk Street
July 4th at 6AM until July 5th at 9AM Closed to ALL Traffic
– Upper Lincoln Park roadways between Delaware Avenue and Dr. Martin Luther King Boulevard. (TOAST School roadway, roadway to tennis courts, basketball courts , spray pool, and sunshine school building)
July 4th 8AM until 11:59PM Closed for all except Local and Emergency Traffic
– Madison Place between Eagle Street and Philip Street
– Philip Street between Madison Avenue and Myrtle Avenue
– Elm Street between Eagle Street and Grand Street
– Wilbur Street between Philip Street and Grand Street
– Bleeker Place between Philip Street and Eagle Street
– Myrtle Avenue between Eagle Street and Grand Street
July 4th 3PM until 11:59PM Closed to all but Event and Emergency Vehicles
– Madison Avenue between S. Swan Street and Eagle Street
July 4th 6AM until 11:59PM Closed to all but Event and Emergency Vehicles
– State Street between S. Swan Street and Eagle Street
Additional Closures may be necessary based upon traffic volumes and delays. APD will be on site through the event to assist motorists with their exit from this family event. Message Boards will be in place with motorist information. We are asking for cooperation and patience during your commute home.
CDTA will have several buses available for use for those individuals who choose not to bring their vehicle to the event. Busses will be staged on Washington Avenue in the area of the NYS Capital.