ADAMS, Mass. (NEWS10) – Park Street in Adams was closed most of Friday afternoon as crews fought a fire in that building.
The street is expected to be reopened Friday night as the fire is now all contained.
Adams Fire Chief Paul Goyette says the fire started on the top floor of the building. He believes it started from a stove, but they are still investigating.
Goyette says the call came in around 1:15 p.m. They were able to put out the fire within an hour. The building was occupied at the time but no one was hurt.
“We found three layers of attic plus we had to start to open up the roof,” Goyette said. “It’s a labor intensive that was the reasoning for calling in a lot mutual aid companies to get fresh people here to the staging area.”
An Adams Firefighter was transported to the hospital for heat exhaustion. Firefighters rescued two cats from the building.
The chief says it doesn’t look like the tax business lost anything, but he doesn’t know how much damage was done to the building.
Crews will watch the building Friday night to ensure nothing sparks up.
The State Fire Marshals are now investigating the fire.
Seven different departments provided additional aid.