Man jailed in plot to bomb Jewish center

MIAMI (AP) – A man is jailed on federal charges stemming from an alleged plot to detonate an explosive at a Jewish center in South Florida.

Court records show that 40-year-old James Medina is charged with attempted use of a weapon of mass destruction. Spokeswoman Sarah Schall of the Miami U.S. attorney’s office says an FBI “national security-related” arrest was made Friday. More details were expected to be released Monday afternoon.

U.S. Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz identified the intended target as the Aventura Turnberry Jewish Center. Wasserman Schultz represents many of its congregants, who were celebrating Passover last week.

Schall says there’s no public safety threat related to the arrest. Officials at the center say it was never in any danger.

Court records don’t yet list an attorney for Medina to contact for comment on the case.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s