ALBANY, N.Y. (ABC10) – New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman says his office is committed to covering the investigation into the Edson Thevenin shooting fully.
The office is at the beginning of the investigation.
At a press conference on Monday, Schneiderman says they will look into all aspects.
“We will make sure to get to the right, and true result,” Schneiderman said. “The Troy family deserves a full investigation.”
The Attorney General’s Office announced over the weekend it was launching an investigation into the shooting.
The incident first took place two weeks ago. What started out as a routine procedure turned into a car chase between Edson Thevenin and Officer Randy French.
Police said Thevenin was shot eight times after he tried to pin the officer between two cars. That’s when the Rensselaer County District Attorney said they were going to investigate.
Two days later, Thevenin’s family said they wanted an outside investigation but the Troy Police Chief said at the time the incident does not fall under Governor Andrew Cuomo’s Executive Order because Thevenin used a car as a dangerous weapon.
Since then, Thevenin’s family has continued to push for justice. And a few days later, the Rensselaer County DA announced the Grand Jury would pass on charging Officer French because he said the officer’s use of force was justifiable at the moment.
Last week, Attorney General Eric Schneiderman filed a lawsuit against the District Attorney saying that the DA’s statement on Schneiderman not claiming jurisdiction was false.
On Friday, a witness came forward stating they saw the officer-involved shooting.
The Attorney General’s Office is scheduled to be in court on Friday.