ALBANY, N.Y. (NEWS10) – The New York Attorney General is taking action in a police involved shooting in Troy.
Attorney General Eric Schneiderman filed a lawsuit Wednesday, which seeks to force the Rensselaer County district attorney to turn over his investigation into the death of Edson Thevenin.
The lawsuit seeks to force Rensselaer County DA Joel Abelove to comply with an executive order governing cases in which unarmed civilians are killed in interactions with police. The order specifically includes cases where, in the Attorney General’s opinion, there is a significant question as to whether the deceased person was armed and dangerous.
“It just doesn’t make sense to me,” Thevenin’s brother, James Thevenin, told NEWS10 ABC on April 20.
Thevenin’s family called for an outside investigation.
“We need outside sources to investigate this situation to find the truth,” Thevenin’s mother Gertha Depas said at the time.
“It was relayed to me by Mr. Clyne that the attorney general, as of this juncture, is not going to be claiming jurisdiction in this case based on the executive order signed last year by the governor,” Abelove had said.
NEWS10 reached out to the DA’s office on Wednesday but did not hear back. The announcement from Schneiderman came after hours, so NEWS10 will continue pursuing the story.