BURLINGAME (KRON) — A California man is dead and his daughter is fighting for her life after an electrical shock in the family swimming pool.
It happened in Palm Springs on Easter Sunday.
The man’s 9-year-old daughter is still in intensive care.
Police said a total of seven people were shocked at the pool party. Palm Springs police confirm Jim Tramel was hosting an Easter celebration on Sunday at his home in the Coachella Valley when the water became charged.
Seven people were shocked, with the kids turning blue when Tramel jumped into the water.
Tramel died at the hospital.
His 9-year-old daughter is still in intensive care. And they weren’t the only ones hurt.
A 10-year-old is in stable condition. Doctors treated four others who have been released.
In a desert resort town full of swimming pools, this is practically unheard of.
“Very unusual that we would have something like this happen,” neighbor Scott Aaronson said.
Swimming pool shocks are rare, according to the Consumer Product Safety Commission. There have been 60 electrocutions in swimming pools since 1990. The Red Cross says if someone becomes shocked in a pool, you should use a fiberglass hook to reach the victim and stay out of the water.
“Some of these homes are 25, 30 years old or…older,” Aaronson said. “Then, they can deteriorate, so maybe it is something that needs to be looked at.”
A Palm Springs pool repair man said pool lights should be checked frequently.
“Lights are required by national electric code to be grounded and bonded, and that is one of the primary things that should be inspected at least twice a year,” Stephen Little of Claro Pools said.
Tramel was a well-known tech executive in the area. He was the vice president of RevJet, a digital marketing company. He leaves behind a wife and three young children.
A family friend has started a GoFundMe account to help Tramel’s wife and kids. It has already raised nearly $100,000.
Riverside County Coroner’s file: http://www.riversidesheriff.org/coroner/press/