Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Wednesday:
- TRUMP’S CAMPAIGN MANAGER ACCUSED OF BATTERY
The charge against Corey Lewandowski stems from a videotaped altercation with a reporter earlier this month.
- EGYPT HIJACKER DESCRIBED AS ‘PSYCHOLOGICALLY UNSTABLE’
The man’s explosives turn out to be fake and he surrenders with all passengers released unharmed after forcing a domestic EgyptAir flight to land in Cyprus.
- WHAT’S POSSIBLE WIDER IMPACT OF IPHONE CASE
The FBI’s success in breaking into the cell phone of one of the San Bernardino killers could help investigators unlock Apple phones in scores of other criminal cases.
- ABSENT SCALIA, SUPREME COURT SPLITS 4-4
U.S. labor unions score a major victory with the tie vote in a high-profile case they had once seemed all but certain to lose.
- HOW ASSAD AIMS TO CAPITALIZE ON RECAPTURE OF PALMYRA
With the military victory, the Syrian leader hopes to convince the West that his army is a credible partner.
- NORTH CAROLINA’S TRANSGENDER LAW GETTING PUSHBACK
The state’s attorney general announces that his office won’t defend the measure, calling it a “national embarrassment.”
- WHERE OBAMA BELIEVES OPIOID DEATHS RANK AMONG AMERICA’S PROBLEMS
The epidemic of opioid overdoses needs to be moved to the top of the government’s radar screen along with terrorism and the economy, he argues.
- NUMBER OF FOREIGN CHILDREN ADOPTED BY US PARENTS DROPS 12 PERCENT
One reason: There were no adoptions last year from Russia, which once accounted for hundreds of U.S. adoptions each year but has since imposed a ban.
- WHY RETIREMENT ISN’T WHAT IT USED TO BE
Today, the journey toward complete withdrawal from the labor force can last many years. Economists refer to the transition period as “bridge employment.”
- PATTY DUKE DIES AT 69
The actress as a teen won an Oscar for playing Helen Keller in “The Miracle Worker,” then maintained a long career while battling personal demons.