UPDATE: The family of two New York City siblings says authorities confirmed they died in the bombings in Brussels.
Belgian authorities and the Dutch Embassy positively identified the remains of Alexander and Sascha Pinczowski.
The information was issued Friday by James Cain on behalf of the Pinczowski family. Cain is the father of Alexander’s fiancee, Cameron Cain.
He says the family is “grateful to have closure on this tragic situation.”
Cain says Alexander was on the phone at the Brussels airport with his mother in Holland on Tuesday when the line went dead.
He says the siblings were Dutch nationals who had lived in the U.S. for some time.
BRUSSELS (AP) – Secretary of State John Kerry says at least two Americans are among those killed in Tuesday’s terror attacks in Brussels. The Chinese embassy in Belgium says a Chinese citizen is also among the dead in attacks in Brussels, and British officials say UK’s David Dixon has died as well.
A Chinese national is reported to have been killed, according to the Chinese Embassy in Belgium. He was identified only by his surname – Deng. No further details were released.
British officials say a U.K. citizen died during the attacks in Brussels. They confirm that David Dixon, a computer programmer living in Brussels, was killed in the bombing on the Brussels subway.
Officials said seven other British nationals were injured, too. Dixon’s family has asked for privacy and indicated no statements will be made.
Kerry is in Brussels today for counter-terrorism talks with EU and Belgian officials and to pay his respects to the victims of the attacks.
A U.S. official says the families of those Americans confirmed dead have been informed. No identities have yet been released.
BRUSSELS, Belgium (WCMH) — Two Americans have been confirmed killed in this week’s Brussels attacks, a senior U.S. official says.
It was not immediately clear whether the two were killed at the airport or in the blast at a downtown metro station.
At least four Americans are unaccounted for after Tuesday’s attacks. A couple from Tennessee was still missing as of Thursday after a false report that they had been found. NBC News also said a brother and sister from New York remains missing as well.
Officials say a man detained in a counterterrorism raid in a Paris suburb has connections to the suspected ringleader of the Paris attacks.
Two French officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity to be able to discuss an ongoing investigation, said the man detained Thursday in Argenteuil is Reda Kriket, a 34-year-old Frenchman wanted since January on suspicion of links to terrorism.
A Belgian official, who spoke on condition of anonymity for the same reason, said Kriket was convicted in absentia in July along with Abdelhamid Abaaoud and others for being part of a recruiting network for jihad in Syria.
Authorities have identified Abaaoud as the ringleader of the Nov. 13 attacks in Paris. He died in a police raid a few days later.
France’s interior minister said the man detained in Argenteuil was in the “advanced stages” of a plot to attack the country. He said there was no evidence “at this stage” to link him to last year’s Paris attacks or this week’s attacks in Brussels.
— Associated Press Writers Lori Hinnant in Paris and John-Thor Dahlburg in Brussels contributed to this report.