TROY, N.Y. (NEWS10) –The spring cleaning schedule in Troy has announced.
The early release of this year’s schedule allows folks to have additional time to prepare their neighborhoods and properties for the seasonal cleaning program and the citywide Earth Day cleanup effort.
“The arrival of spring means the start of the city’s street cleaning program to improve the appearance of our neighborhoods and clear city streets of dirt and debris built up during the winter season,” said Mayor Patrick Madden. “With the cooperation of the public, our Department of Public Works crews can coordinate an effective cleanup program that benefits our residents and improves the overall quality of life of our neighborhoods.”
The Department of Public Works (DPW) has scheduled nine weeks of street sweeping and debris cleanup beginning on Monday, April 11, which will run through June 10. It will allow the city to remove dirt, brush, leaves and other items that have accumulated over the winter months.
For the Spring Cleaning program to be conducted thoroughly and efficiently, City of Troy residents are requested to help spread the word throughout their neighborhoods and cooperate with the following guidelines and suggestions:
- Know when your streets will be cleaned. A schedule has been published and will be available on the website at troyny.gov. The schedule will also will be shared through the City’s social media sites and available in City Hall.
- Please move your vehicles so that the street sweeper and DPW staff can access the complete street area.
- Sweep or wash your sidewalks and rake your lawns BEFORE the sweepers come onto your streets and, also sweep the dirt along the curbs and out of the gutters into small piles to help make pick up easier.
- Bulk trash will not be collected at this time. Bulk trash pickup for residents is available by contacting DPW directly at (518) 270-4579. Please note that bulk trash may be subject to additional charges.
- During the days posted, any uncooperative vehicle owners will have their vehicles towed at the owner’s expense. All streets that will be part of that day’s cleanup will be posted for “No Parking”. Please notify DPW at (518) 270-4579 in advance if you know of any abandoned, unregistered or inoperative vehicles in your neighborhood.
- This is a great time to clean your alley, back yards and cut down any weeds or brush. Please place the material in a biodegradable bag or bundle the brush and branches together for easier collection.
- Regular trash pickup will occur as scheduled for your neighborhood.
The street cleaning program is not trash pickup.
On Saturday, April 23 the Alamo, located on Main Street next to the Rensselaer County Jail, will be open on the third Saturday of each month until December from 7:30 a.m. until noon for city residents with identification.
At the Alamo, residents may dispose of yard waste, tires (cost of $3 per tire) and bulk trash (furniture, carpets, etc.). No regular garbage, recycling or hazardous waste will be accepted.
Please contact DPW at (518) 270-4579 with any additional questions regarding this year’s Spring Cleanup.