TROY, N.Y. (NEWS10) — An overnight fire in Troy displaced nearly 40 people and sent a mother and her daughter to the hospital.
“As soon as I opened my door and saw that’s where the fire was coming from, I made everybody not even go near there,” resident Shakirah Scott said.
Garrett said a 4-year-old girl and her 30-year-old lived in a corner apartment on the third floor. Both were taken from Albany Medical Center to the Westchester Burn Unit. They suffered second degree burns on their hands, arms and stomachs.
“I had to grab her,” Scott said. “She couldn’t move. She was barely breathing.”
The property owner returned to the building Tuesday night. He said he can’t say if or when people will be able to live in the building again.
“I hope so,” he said. “I don’t know what I’m gonna do.”