Source: Troy sergeant suspended for alleged release of 911 tape

TROY, N.Y. (NEWS10) – Rensselaer County said it was Sgt. Tim Colaneri who requested a 911 call that was eventually distributed to the public during Troy’s mayoral election.

“It’s no secret the kind of race that certain individuals decided they want to run but we made sure we stayed above that and we did,” said Jim Gordon.

Mayoral candidate Jim Gordon, following his loss to Patrick Madden in November 2015, eluded to the fact that he thought some people were participating in dirty campaign tactics.

Just days before Election Day, a 911 call was made by Gordon’s wife Melissa regarding an alleged domestic dispute that was released to the public.

Now Troy Police Chief John Tedisco said Sgt. Tim Colaneri has been suspended for 30 days without pay.

Rensselaer County spokesperson Chris Meyer said county records also show that only one copy of the recording was made and it was released to the Troy Police Department.

Meyer said Sgt. Tim Colaneri made the request for the copy. Meyer said records show that the recording was picked up by Troy Police Sgt. Mark Millington.

Meyer said the release violates state law which forbids the release of 911 calls.

In a statement Monday, Gordon said quote “This is the second person who has been brought forward for their involvement in the illegal distribution of this sensitive material, we eagerly await the punishment of those additional individuals who were apart of this conspiracy.”

Attorney Arnold Proskin said it is possible that charges could follow in this case.

“Is it improper? Yes. Is it illegal? You probably can reach out and find an illegality involved in the thing”.

Gordon and his wife declined media interviews citing the ongoing investigation. They said they would speak after the investigation is completed.

The Gordons released the following statement to the media:

“Melissa and I remain hopeful that justice will continue to be served on those who willfully and blatantly choose to break the law. What was done last October was a clear abuse of power and violation of the public trust by those we look to for protection from crime. The attempt to over focus on a previously closed issue for the sole purpose of political gain has no role in our society, just as we have no use for those who committed these crimes. This is the second person who has been brought forward for their involvement in the illegal distribution of this sensitive material, we eagerly await the punishment of those additional individuals who were apart of this conspiracy. Melissa and I remain appreciative to those who continue to have the courage to investigate this matter.”

Troy Mayor Patrick Madden declined to comment. The Rensselaer County District Attorney’s Office also declined to comment on the investigation.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s