Fire that killed Mt. Marion firefighter deemed accidental

SAUGERTIES, N.Y. (NEWS10) – State officials have determined a fatal 2015 fire was accidental.

A fire occurred on December 19, 2015 at a home on Fel Qui Road in the town of Saugerties. While crews were taking down flames, officials said Captain Jack Rose, 19, went into distress and was rescued from inside the home.

Over a two-day period, the New York State Office of Fire Prevention and Control examined the scene of the fire, conducted interviews, and identified evidence related to the origin of the fire and its cause.

OFPC determined the fire originated within the structure’s south wall, and the incident has been classified as accidental. Officials said the fire involved a wood stove that was situated along the wall.

The investigation into the events leading up to Rose’s death remains under investigation. His cause of death, however, was determined to be “result of the inhalation of superheated gases, leading to irreversible respiratory failure, subsequently resulting in cardiac arrest.”

Saugerties detectives and investigators from the New York State Department of Labor are continuing their investigation.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s