Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Thursday:
1. WHY STOCK MARKETS KEEP SLUMPING
Investors are worried that low oil prices mean there’s not that much demand for fuel – a signal of a slowing global economy.
2. 2015 WAS EARTH’S HOTTEST BY WIDE MARGIN
From a baked Alaska to a Christmas in July, last year was the warmest year on record by far, scientists say.
3. NOR’EASTER GETTING SET TO BLOW
The U.S. weather service warns of heavy, “perhaps crippling” snow across the northern mid-Atlantic region in the coming days.
4. BUFFALO MAKES NFL HISTORY
Kathryn Smith is hired as the Bills’ special teams quality control coach, becoming the first full-time female member of an NFL coaching staff.
5. ONCE UNTHINKABLE OUTCOME LOOMS IN DEMOCRATIC RACE
With two weeks until voting begins, Bernie Sanders is in position to win both Iowa and New Hampshire.
6. LATEST ATTACK ON A SCHOOL IN PAKISTAN KILLS 20
The deadly assault by Islamic militants raises questions about whether security forces are able to protect the country’s educational institutions.
7. WHICH VOLATILE TOPICS ARE INTERSECTING IN US
Abortion and race take the stage as political adversaries spar over the fact that black women get abortions at a disproportionately high rate.
8. VIETNAMESE GATHER TO CHOOSE RULERS
Vietnam’s Communist Party opens an eight-day congress to name a set of leaders to govern the country for the next five years.
9. WHAT MESSAGE POPE IS SENDING TO DAVOS
While praising business as a “noble vocation,” the pontiff says industry leaders have a responsibility to fight poverty.
10. SOLAR SYSTEM MAY HAVE NINTH PLANET AFTER ALL
Scientists present “good evidence” for a long-hypothesized Planet X – likely a gas giant almost as big as its nearest planetary neighbor Neptune.
(Copyright 2016 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)