Supervisor assaulted at NYS Education building, lockdown lifted

ALBANY, N.Y. (NEWS10) – The New York State Education building was placed on lockdown for nearly two hours Thursday after a fight broke out between two employees.

NYSED employees said the lockdown was scary and confusing. But they also said the building is very secure because every employee needs an ID card to access parts of the building.

“We were all just confused for the most part,” an employee said. “I mean, nobody was in major panic, which is a good thing.”

The employee did not want to be identified, but she said she was already inside the building when the fight occurred.

“There’s just all sorts of stories going around,” she said. “So nobody really knows what happened. All we know is that something happened in the bathroom, and then it moved into the office and that was pretty much all that happened.”

An employee, who did not want to be identified, works on the seventh floor where the fight started. She said the altercation was between an employee and a supervisor. She said she ran to find security as soon as she realized what was happening.

Police were then called, and the building was placed on locked down. The department sent an e-mail to employees regarding the incident:

“This morning an altercation occurred between two SED employees at the worksite.  Appropriate steps have been taken to ensure the safety of employees.  The entrance and exit doors have been secured and guards are checking identification to permit authorized visitors to gain access to the building.  We will continue to keep you updated and inform you when the doors are open again.” 

“I tried coming out, and we couldn’t get out,” she said. “And the people out here couldn’t get back in so everybody was just all flustered.”

When Albany police arrived, they treated one of the men for minor injuries, and he was taken to the hospital. The other was nowhere to be found, and police searched the building.

“Just to make sure the other individual involved in the altercation had left and wasn’t still inside the building,” Albany Officer Steve Smith said.

After police determined the second man was no longer in the building and it was deemed safe, the lockdown was lifted.

The education department sent an e-mail to employees shortly after letting them know the buildings were cleared. Still, NYSED employee said it was a scary start to her morning.

“Nothing really happens here,” she said. “It was just sort of random and odd; very odd.”

Police have not released the names of the men involved in the fight and are still looking for the man who left the building.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s