6-year-old saves family from Albany fire

ALBANY, N.Y. (NEWS10) – A six year old is being hailed a hero after alerting his sleeping parents to a fire that tore through their home Thursday morning. Flames broke out just before 4 a.m. at 50 Broad Street. The owners, who lived upstairs, and the family of three, who lived on the first floor, lost everything.

Fortunately, everyone was able to get out safely. That’s in large part because of a little boy named Avery. Police tell me he smelled the smoke and heard commotion coming from upstairs, and immediately yelled for Mom and Dad. Everyone ran out with only the clothes on their backs. 

Firefighters tell NEWS10ABC the fire likely started on the second floor and quickly spread to the third. They were able to put the fire out within about 45 minutes. Deputy Chief Gregory with the Albany Fire Department said one of his firefighters was hurt. Debris that fell from the ceiling knocked him down a flight of stairs. He was taken to Albany Medical Center. He has since been treated and released.

The Red Cross put the five people that lived there up in a hotel. 

Avery, being credited as a hero.
Avery, being credited as a hero.

 

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s