Woman accused of leaving child alone for 2nd time in Gloversville

GLOVERSVILLE, N.Y. (NEWS10) – Police say a mother is being accused of leaving her 3-year-old alone at home while she went out to drink.

Gloversville Police said they were called to Willow Street around 4 a.m. on November 8 for a report of a child crying in the doorway of a home. When officers spoke with neighbors, they said the child’s mother had gone out drinking.

“They found the young child screaming, crying unattended,” Gloversville Police Chief Donald VanDeusen said. “They interviewed neighbors and had found out that mom had gone to a local drinking establishment.”

Officers then located 34-year-old Shameka Worley, who they said was drunk, hanging out at a Gloversville bar. Officers determined she had been gone for about four hours.

“And the mother didn’t have any good answers as to why the child was home alone and why she was out in an intoxicated condition,” VanDeusen said.

The child was then placed in the custody of a responsible adult.

When police finished their investigation, they discovered this was the second time Worley had been charged with Endangering the Welfare of her daughter. The first incident took place in April 2014. Police said Worley had her child in an apartment where she was staying in the care of a friend when the apartment was searched by police for evidence in reference to an armed robbery.

Police say during that search, a quantity of individually wrapped crack cocaine that was ready to be sold was located in an area where the child could easily access it and eat it. At that time, Worley was charged with Criminal Possession of a Controlled Substance and Endangering the Welfare of a Child.

Worley later pled guilty to the charges and spent 44 days in Fulton County Correctional Facility. She was also put on three years of probation.

NEWS10 ABC reporter Anya Tucker left a business card on Worley’s door, and Worley called the station. When Tucker returned her call, Worley said the situation was “done and taken care of.”

The police chief said they called Child Protective Services after both of Worley’s arrests, and yet, she is still allowed to maintain custody of her daughter.

“I stand by the assertion that the system has failed this child,” VanDeusen said.

NEWS10 ABC reached out to CPS and the judge. The judge is out of town, and NEWS10 never heard back from CPS.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s