WATERVLIET, N.Y. (NEWS10) – Tenants of the Joslin Apartments in Watervliet have been allowed back into their homes after a gas leak.
According to police, the gas break occurred when crews were working on the playground in the middle of the complex. They were in the process of digging up a tree stump when they hit the gas line.
The area surrounding the apartments between 23rd Street and 25th Street were shut down. Watervliet police, Watervliet fire, and National Grid all responded to the scene.
A tenant of Joslin Apartments said he could hear the gas spewing from the line. Around 3 p.m., he said he heard a knock on his door and was rushed out of his apartment.
“Told us we needed to get out right now because there’s a gas leak and there was a lot of confusion,” resident Benjamin Messina said. “No one really knew what was happening. It all happened really fast. They had us move outside then all the way back. They kept pushing us back.”
Police also closed the Stewart’s on the corner of 25th and Second Street while crews worked on the leak. Apartments across the street were not been evacuated, but police said they were notified of the issue in case the problem persisted.
Crews were able to shut off the gas and pinched the line. Second Avenue was reopened around 4:30 p.m.