NEW YORK (NEWS10) – New York Governor Andrew Cuomo and Missouri Governor Jay Nixon announced Sunday that they will have an interstate wager on the World Series match up between the New York Mets and the Kansas City Royals which starts Tuesday, October 27th.
If the Mets win, Governor Nixon will wear a Mets jersey to work for a full day. If the Royals win, Governor Cuomo will do the same, wearing a Royals jersey.
“This year’s World Series is a match up between two truly great teams – but there is no doubt in my mind that the Miracle Mets are going on to win it all,” said Governor Cuomo.
“The Royals have earned their second consecutive berth in the Fall Classic through strong pitching, discipline at the plate, spectacular defense, and a dedicated fan base at the K that is second-to-none,” Governor Nixon said. “Good as the Metropolitans have been in the postseason, I don’t see them overcoming this playoff-seasoned team.
Additionally, if the Mets win, Governor Nixon will send Governor Cuomo:
– A commemorative jersey from the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum, a Kansas City landmark that commemorates the accomplishments of the great players of the Negro Leagues such as Satchel Paige, Josh Gibson and Buck O’Neill who played for the Kansas City Monarchs, New York Cuban Giants and other teams;
– a bag of 20th anniversary platinum edition blend coffee from The Roasterie in Kansas City;
– world-famous barbecue ribs from Kansas City’s own Gates BBQ; and
– a Ford F-150 baseball cap, to signify how Missouri is at the forefront of the American auto industry, with the award-winning F-150 truck built at the Kansas City Assembly Plant, which produces more vehicles than any other Ford plant in the world.
If the Royals win, Governor Cuomo will send Governor Nixon:
– A hat from the Baseball Hall of Fame, a Cooperstown institution that celebrates the history of baseball and its place in American culture;
– bagels from Jrs Bagel factory in Queens;
– original Anchor Bar wing sauce from Western New York;
– Gianelli’s hot Italian Sausage from Central New York;
– A sampling of great products from New York’s burgeoning craft beverage industry including:
o Sheldrake Point Winery’s award-winning reisling from the Finger Lakes;
o Hudson Maple Cask Rye from Tuthilltown Spirits in the Hudson Valley;
o Nine Pin Cider from the Capital Region;
o Pumking from the Southern Tier Brewing Company;
o Big Slide IPA from the Lake Placid Brewing Company in the North Country; and
o Toasted Lager from the Blue Point Brewing Company on Long Island.