Law enforcement asks for help nearing anniversary of quadruple murder

GUILDERLAND, N.Y. (NEWS10) – Police have once again asked for the public’s help in solving the 2014 murders of a Guilderland family.

It’s been nearly one year since a quadruple murder shook the Capital Region. A family of four, including two young boys, was killed by unknown assailants inside their Guilderland home.

It was the first quadruple murder in Capital Region memory. As the grim anniversary approaches, no arrests have been made and frustrated members of law enforcement asked for the public’s help.

Law enforcement released a new poster asking for information regarding the 2014 murders of a Guilderland family. (NEWS10)
Law enforcement released a new poster asking for information regarding the 2014 murders of a Guilderland family. (NEWS10)

On October 8, 2014, the bodies of Jin Chen, his wife, Hai Yan Li, and their sons, 10-year-old Anthony and 7-year-old Eddy, were found inside their Western Avenue home.

The killings shocked Guilderland residents as well as the close knit Chinese American community. Police would not say how the family was killed or any theories as to why. They only said the public was not in danger.

Sources close to the case did, however, confirm that Chen had been in deep debt and that evidence of gambling and possibly human trafficking were found inside the home.

The case stretched from New York City to China.

But without any solid leads, life moved on. The home was purchased, renovated and is back on the market. A memorial for the boys at Guilderland Elementary School was cleared away.

According to the New York State Police, the investigation has over 600 leads, but the leads are moving slowly and have been hampered by language barriers, subpoenas and fears.

Albany County District Attorney David Soares says people should not be afraid.

“That’s exactly what I’m suggesting,” he said. “We do have a unique opportunity of being able to protect individuals and witnesses. And we do this every single day. We can protect people.”

Soares said by he hopes to have an indictment in the case by next year.

“But unless someone comes forward, we will be here again next year making the same request from the public,” he said.

Soares also said he would continue to grant immunity over immigration status for those coming forward.

Anyone with information is asked to contact NYSP.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s