Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Wednesday:
1. OBAMA: ISLAMIC STATE’S DEFEAT REQUIRES ‘LONG-TERM CAMPAIGN’
At the U.N., the president hosts a gathering of world leaders working to expand the fight against the terror group, but there’s little agreement on how to proceed.
2. GOP LAWMAKERS GRILL PLANNED PARENTHOOD LEADER
The women’s health organization is under fire in the wake of stealthily recorded videos made by abortion foes posing as private purchasers of fetal organs.
3. TALIBAN TIGHTEN GRIP ON KEY AFGHAN CITY
Afghan ground troops sent to retake Kunduz get help from U.S. airstrikes, but are stalled by ambushes and roadblocks.
4. WHY VW, OTHER AUTOMAKERS HAVE TRIED TO CHEAT EMISSIONS TESTS
Complying with clean air regulations can add thousands of dollars to a vehicle’s sticker price while diminishing driving performance.
5. WHO ATTRACTS 625,000 TWITTER FOLLOWERS HOURS AFTER JOINING
Edward Snowden, the exiled whistleblower who leaked classified documents about U.S. government surveillance, is following just one account: the NSA.
6. KEVIN MCCARTHY WORKS TO CLINCH HOUSE SPEAKER POST
The California Republican moves to lock up support to move into Congress’ top job, a week after John Boehner announces his departure.
7. FIRST TRIAL IN FREDDIE GRAY CASE SET FOR NOV. 30
Officer William Porter is one of six Baltimore cops who face charges in the death of Gray, a black man who died a week after he was handcuffed, shackled and put in a police van.
8. MORMON MUSEUM FEATURES POLYGAMY EXHIBIT
A church leader says the display acknowledges that “plural marriage was a fact of life for the early Mormon church.”
9. TOP US INTELLIGENCE OFFICIAL NOT HOPEFUL ON CHINA CYBER DEAL
James Clapper says he’s not optimistic that an agreement the U.S. recently struck with China will effectively deter state-sponsored cyberattacks.
10. WHERE THE NATION’S FIRST MARIJUANA RESORT MAY OPEN
In South Dakota, Santee Sioux tribal leaders plan to grow their own pot and sell it in a smoking lounge that includes a nightclub, arcade games, bar and food service.
(Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)