DANNEMORA, N.Y. (NEWS10) – It’s been quite the month for the State of New York.
- The prison break started on the morning of June 6 when the Clinton County Correctional inmates were reported missing from their cells.
- On June 8, authorities announced they are questioning a prison worker Joyce Mitchell.
- On June 12, Mitchell was arrested. Officials say she provided hack saw blades and drill bits to the escapees through frozen hamburger meat.
- The next day, Mitchell was moved to the Rensselaer County Jail for her own safety and then she faced a judge on June 15.
- On June 19, we learned that Corrections Officer, Gene Palmer was placed on administrative leave.
- One day later the search for Sweat and Matt intensified when a tip lead law enforcement to the Pennsylvania border after a possible sighting in Friendship, New York.
- On June 24 Gene Palmer was arrested.
- Then last Friday, June 26 NEWS10ABC got the word that Richard Matt was shot and killed by a border patrol swat team in Malone, New York.
After what seemed like a very long weekend for law enforcement, David Sweat was shot and captured by New York State Police Sergeant Jay Cook Sunday afternoon, bringing an end to the manhunt and overall peace for upstate New York after three weeks of chaos.