ALBANY, N.Y. (NEWS10) – Some state republican assembly members have called for the end of the START-UP NY program.
START-UP NY was aimed at helping businesses grow in the Empire State. But the program may not be living up to its name.
On Wednesday, small business owners along with members of the assembly minority conference called for a shut down of Governor Andrew Cuomo’s program. They said it was failing.
So far, 76 jobs have been created under the program. Assembly GOP members called that number unacceptable, and they said the program was a disaster.
“There are more people engaged in a manhunt in Dannemora right now than there are working under the governor’s START-UP NY program,” Assemblyman Steve McLaughlin said.
McLaughlin offered the idea to replace the program. He said Cuomo needs to make the entire state business friendly and put the money back into the pockets of small businesses, so they, in turn, can grow their business to grow the economy.
McLaughlin, in conjunction with assembly GOP members, also said the START-UP NY program is nothing but a gimmick.
“In essence, what START-UP NY is, is an ad campaign, and look no further than the governor’s own spokespeople who say START-UP NY is about giving the impression that New York is open for business,” he said. “It’s not about making New York open for business or taking the steps necessary, it’s about scamming people into believing that New York State is open for business.”
Assembly democrats did not respond to a request for comment on the call to shut down the program.