Stamford PD: Man stabbed and killed after spilling coffee on suspect

Antonio Muralles, 52

STAMFORD, Conn. (WTNH) — A Stamford teenager and New Haven man are charged with murder after police say they stabbed a man to death after he accidentally spilled coffee on them last Wednesday night.

Stamford police say 22-year-old James McLamb and an unidentified 15-year-old attacked 52-year-old Antonio Muralles on Broad Street after Muralles bumped into them and spilled coffee onto them outside McDonald’s.

James McLamb, 22
Stamford Police Dept. / Caption: James McLamb, 22

“It’s very sad to think about,” said Muralles’ family friend Wendy Palma. “It’s hard.”

“Nowadays something so simple can tick off anyone,” she said.

Police say the 15-year-old stabbed Muralles and McLamb later beat him.

“It looks like the victim tried to apologize to get away from these guys,” said Stamford police Lt. Dietrich Hohn. “Unfortunately, the 15-year-old juvenile was the instigator and kept going at him.”

RELATED STORY: First Stamford homicide of 2015

According to officials, firefighters were responding to an unrelated call around 8:15 p.m. when they saw Muralles collapse at the corner of Broad and Bedford Streets. The firefighters started to treat the victim and found a stab wound to his chest, police say. They say Muralles underwent emergency surgery at Stamford Hospital, but died just after 1 a.m. Thursday. The medical examiner ruled the cause of death a stab wound to the heart.

People who knew Muralles say they’ll remember him singing, smiling, and loving the simple things. Palma says all he wanted to do was get back to Guatemala to take care of his dad. He was living with his niece and her husband in Stamford.

“It’s crazy, and probably because he looks like an easy target,” said Palma.

The violence has the whole community disgusted.

“As word got out this was such a senseless, tragic incident, we had people coming forward and giving us tips,” said Capt. Richard Conklin.

Police say hours of surveillance video also helped as well. There were about three others with McLamb and the juvenile, including a woman. Police say the group was on a mission to hurt someone.

“Throughout the day they were arguing, saying they were going to harm someone,” said Capt. Conklin.

McLamb was charged with first-degree murder Sunday. Officials say he was already in New Haven police custody on unrelated weapons charges for having brass knuckles when he was charged in Muralles’s death. The Harding Place man was arraigned in court Monday and is being held on $2 million bond.

The juvenile, also charged with first-degree murder, was taken into custody without incident Monday morning. The 15-year-old was taken to Bridgeport Juvenile Detention Center, but may be charged as an adult. He’ll be in court Tuesday.

Police say there will likely be a third person arrested

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s