MECHANICVILLE, N.Y. – Numerous fire companies were busy Saturday night battling a house fire in freezing conditions.
According to the Mechanicville fire chief, firefighters were called to 67 Round Lake Avenue at 11:00p.m. for a working fire. Six additional companies and nearly 80 fire fighters had to be called in to help as the cold temperatures made it difficult for crews to battle the blaze.
Initially, it’s not so bad, but once you start flowing water we had slip hazards. The water under the firefighters started freezing, they really started to have hypothermia problems. That’s why we brought in fresh crews to make sure we had fresh guys to rotate in,” said Jim Corrigan, Mechanicville Fire Chief.
According to the chief, crews knocked down 15 minutes after crews arrived. The residents and two dogs were safely evacuated with no injuries.
Firefighters say the fire may have sparked from an overloaded lead cord in second floor bedroom.
The department says they are working with ‘After the Fire’ to find a place for the family to stay until it is safe to re-enter the home. The Red Cross has also provided financial assistance for food, clothing, shoes, and seasonal garments to the family. Infant supplies were also given to them, and volunteers are helping.
Mutual aid was requested from Clifton Park Fire Department for Rapid Intervention Team as well as Arvin Hart, Hillcrest, Hemstreet Park, and Waterford Fire Departments. Clifton Park Halfmoon EMS provided firefighter rehab on scene and Stillwater Fire Department provided a cover assignment in Mechanicville Central Fire Station. Mechanicville Police and Saratoga County Cause and Origin Team were all on scene for fire investigation.