COLONIE, N.Y. – A community has raised more than $30,000 within a day for a paramedic who lost his home in a fire.
The GoFundMe site was set up on Thursday, trying to help Dave Plouff who lost everything in an early morning fire except the uniform on his back and possessions in his personal vehicle.
Plouff heard that his house was on fire a little before 6 a.m. Thursday, just as he was finishing his 12 hour shift with the Town of Colonie EMS.
After hearing the call of a fire on his scanner, Plouff feared it was his own home.
To add insult to injury, while on the scene of the fire, Plouff fell and displaced his shoulder.
His colleagues say he deserves all the help people are lending.
“Dave is keeping up his spirits and he is doing well, and we’re trying to do everything we can to support him, and we have started a fundraiser, for him that people can help, and the response has been overwhelming, its been incredible,” said Colonie EMS Chief Peter Berry.
More than 400 people have donated to Plouff so far.
“He has way many more friends than he ever thought, and he is doing well, and his spirits are up, and those donations are letting him know he is not alone,” says Berry.
While the exact cause of the fire is not confirmed, firefighters say they are looking at the possibility that an electrical malfunction started the flames.
For those who would like to donate to Plouff you can click here.