SCHENECTADY, N.Y. – A fire broke out at St. Anthony's Church Friday evening.
Crews received a call for heavy smoke on the first floor of 331 Seward Place around 5:30 p.m.
When they arrived on scene, crews found a fire in the basement that was spreading to the first floor near the altar.
Four people were inside the church at the time but were reluctant to leave.
“We had to show them the way out,” Schenectady Fire Chief Raymond Senecal said.
One person was treated for smoke inhalation. There were no other injuries.
Officials did not have a cause for the fire.