Fire Chief: 114 year old Schoharie County home burns to the ground

SUMMIT, N.Y. – There was a house fire in Schoharie County on Friday evening, according to officials.

Summit Fire Chief Don Clarke said a smoke alarm awoke a mother and her children to flames on the second floor of the home.

Firefighters arrived to the scene and had a difficult time battling the blaze in below zero temperatures. Clarke said the water sources were frozen and hoses and fire trucks froze as well.

According to Clarke, the two story post and beam home, which was built in the year 1900, has “burned to the ground.”

Those who lived in the home did not sustain any injuries. However, two firefighters suffered minor injuries.

Mutual aid was requested from multiple departments in Schoharie and Ostego Counties.

Clarke confirmed that the family did lose all of their belongings in the fire. He says the communities of Summit and Charlotteville are pulling together to help the family. The American Red Cross of Northeastern New York provided assistance
to a family of two adults and two children, ages 8 and 1.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s