Fire put out at beloved building in Sharon Springs

SHARON SPRINGS, N.Y. — A beloved building in the Village of Sharon Springs caught fire late Saturday afternoon, but authorities are hoping the damage can be repaired.

According to village Fire Chief Greg Baxter, the fire started on the roof of the former Hollywood Hotel on 522 Route 20.

The building has been vacant but was just sold to new owners last week, according to Baxter.

Four different fire departments responded to the scene, which Baxter believes was caused due to work being done on the roof.

Flames were out in about an hour.

“The contractor had just left five to ten minutes before the call came in,” Baxter said.

“The guys (firefighters) did a great job. I thought the place was going to go but they did an excellent job knocking it down.”

Flames were kept to just the attic of the building, but Baxter adds there was a lot of structural damage done to the roof.

The cause of the fire is being listed as accidental.

The former home of the Hollywood Hotel has been the site of many restaurants over the years, most recently the Black Pearl Inn.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s