Fire alarm provided by neighbor saves a couple two weeks later

MOREAU, N.Y. – The interior of a
Moreau home was gutted by fire early Thursday morning, but the couple inside
escaped unharmed thanks to neighbors.

A fire broke out around 2 a.m. at
the home at 7 Myron St.

“About a quarter-mile out we
could see the orange glow,” first responder Chris Watson said. “We knew it was
a good fire.”

Watson said it was one of the
largest fires he had seen in a while.

“In a matter of minutes the
whole house was engulfed,” he said. “Windows melting. Everything was going.”

Timothy Baker lives next door. He
heard his doorbell ringing and found his neighbors outside asking for help.

“Standing there with his P.Js.
told us his house was on fire,” Baker said.

When Baker stepped outside of his
house, he witnessed the blaze ripping through his neighbors' one-story home.

“I found the wife on front
steps, and I brought her to safety,” he explained.

Baker said his neighbors heard the
smoke alarm go off in the middle of the night. He had just given his elderly
neighbors the alarm two weeks ago.

“The smoke alarm woke them
up,” he said.

The house and a car in the attached
garage were destroyed, but the couple survived the flames.

The couple stayed at Baker's house
overnight but will stay with relatives temporarily.

Officials believe the fire started
around a wood stove, but South Glens Falls Fire Department and the Saratoga
County Cause and Origin team are conducting an investigation to determine the actual

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s