ALBANY, N.Y. – Wolf's 1-11 restaurant in Albany will be closed for a few weeks as rebuilding begins after a burst pipe caused extensive damage.
A frozen water pipe burst at the restaurant Sunday causing around $100,000 in damages. Owner Mike Diraddo said the restaurant had to be gutted and reconstruction would begin Thursday.
Bursting pipes from cold weather can happen to any home or business owner.
The Red Cross recommends keeping garage doors closed if it contains water supply lines. Kitchen and bathroom cabinet doors can also remain open to allow warmer air to circulate around the plumbing. A final tip is letting cold water drip from the faucet to prevent pipes from freezing.
If pipes are already frozen, the Red Cross recommends keeping faucets open as the pipes are being treated. Also, apply heat to the section of the frozen pipe using an electric heating pad wrapped around the pipe or a hair dryer or space heater, but be sure to keep the heat source away from any flammable materials.
Do not use a blowtorch or propane heater to thaw out frozen pipes.
Diraddo said he expects the Albany location on Pearl Street to remain closed for three weeks, but the location on Wolf Road will remain open.