SCHENECTADY, N.Y. – ‘Magic and Myth' will cast a spell over the Capital Region as the 45th Gazette Holiday Parade kicks off Saturday in downtown Schenectady.
With a theme like ‘Magic and Myth,' it's no surprise that Kathe Sheehan, owner of The Costumer, was chosen as this year's Grand Marshal.
Over 100 local organizations have floats in the two-hour parade that will be accompanied by dance troupes, marchers and bands.
Participants will be vying for valuable prizes including:
- The Gazette Business Award
- National Red Suspenders Award
- Price Chopper Nonprofit Award
- Great Escape Youth Award
Due to the parade, State Street from gateway Bridge to Nott Terrace will be closed to traffic at 4 p.m. Marchers will begin at Schenectady County Community College and proceed east on State Street to the corner of Lafayette Street at the foot of Veterans' Park.
Free public parking is available at:
- Broadway Garage
- Broadway Surface Lot
- Broadway and Franklin Streets
- Amtrak lot (Erie Blvd. and Liberty Street)
- Erie Blvd. & Liberty Street North
- Schenectady ARC's parking lot off of South Church Street
- Lot next to KFC (entrance off Liberty Street)
- City lot located between Liberty and Franklin Streets