Blown manhole in Troy under investigation

TROY, N.Y. – The Capital Region was hit with another underground electrical fire, causing a manhole to smoke and dislodge on Thursday afternoon – This time it was in the City of Troy.

National Grid says the issue was caused by an underground cable failure, a “splice” that shortened out, on Fifth Avenue, between Federal Street and Jacob Street.

The underground cable was smoking and there was an ignition. The manhole cover was dislodged, though it did not blow off.

A power outage was caused at the Old Hadley Building nearby, and three homes needed to be evacuated to check for carbon monoxide. The homes were deemed safe within a half-hour and residents were allowed back inside.

National Grid is continuing to investigate the incident. They cannot positively say the Troy incident is related to the Albany incident, though because of the timing they are investigating to see if they are related.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s